Tuesday, April 17, 2018

A PLACE TO CALL HOME

If you have been a visitor here over the years, you'll know I don't watch but a small handful of American tv shows. I have always watched my shows on PBS or on the BBC channel I get.  Some of my favorites are almost all of the Brit comedies....Waiting for God, and Last of the Summer Wine among my favorites. I also enjoy Ballykissangel, Father Brown, Doc Martin, The Tunnel, Call the Midwife, Last Tango in Halifax, Little Britain, Luther and Grantchester, And I love me some re-runs of Rosemary and Thyme and Midsummer Murders. I also watch three Austrian shows that we are behind a couple season of here. The Doctor Blake Mysteries is pretty good, but I recently came upon another recently called,  A Place to Call Home. They just started airing the first season here. Have any of you seen it?
A Place to Call Home is an Australian television drama series, set  in rural New South Wales in the period following the Second World War, it follows Sarah Adams, who has returned to Australia after twenty years abroad to start a new life and ends up clashing with wealthy matriarch Elizabeth Bligh played my the lovely Noni Hazlehurst
Noni plays the headstrong and stubborn matriarch of the Bligh family beautifully.  She is at first rude and cruel to Sarah because she is Jewish, and having an affair with her son, but she grudgingly mellows over time. But what caught my attention was the character of James Bligh, the only son of George and the late Elaine, who marries a woman named Olivia, but is tormented by the realization that he is gay.  James ends up  having a brief romantic involvement with a guy named Harry Polson, but when much of the village learns of Harry's true nature, he leaves Inverness for a new life elsewhere. These two had great chemistry....and it doesn't hurt that both actors are easy on the eyes.
This is Harry

Harry and James
Harry pops a question....
  While it's only season one, I understand the storyline of James is a fascinating one, and I will look forward to watching it. James will experience everything from forbidden love to family disapproval and even horrific “treatments” including electroshock.  I already have knowledge that James falls for Doctor Henry Fox, the doctor who helps to save his father George's life after he is shot. Henry then goes on to befriend James, and they realize their mutual attraction to each other is stronger than mere friendship. And I hear that Harry returns also in a later season, and that James and Henry will hit the sheets.
The three actors are quite amazing in their roles.
David Berry

Dominic Alburn

Tim Draxi
Have any of you seen this show? I'm hooked already.

20 comments:

  1. I have never heard of it. I must confess most of my TV viewing is restricted to the CW, sports and CBS All Access nowadays.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa! No wonder you are hooked! I have heard of it but unfortunately I can't get it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I happened upon this series only recently. Without knowing the prehistory of that episode, I "caught" the stable scene where there was an abrupt glimpse of a shirtless muscle boy walking behind James. That was an "aha' moment. We gays seem to have a sixth sense radar that allows us to zone in on even the most abrupt scenes in a movie. First, David Berry is drop dead gorgeous. I know the fear of coming to terms with one's homosexuality. I look forward to seeing more of this show to. Good to know it's only the first season here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the intro to an interesting show. I can add it to the list of shows to watch. I, too, watch PBS and enjoy food and travel shows. And I like comedies like American Housewife, Champions, and Blackish. Not to mention RuPaul's Drag Race. But the majority of my guilty pleasures are sci-fi/fantasy shows: Supernatural, Krypton, The Flash, Marvel's Agents of Shield, and looking forward to the upcoming season of The Expanse.

    The only horror show that I am addicted to watching is Call the Midwife. Trust me, there ain't nothing beautiful or pleasant about childbirth. It is a gruesome, horrific, and traumatically painful experience to watch a baby tear and tunnel its way out of a tiny orifice, emerging covered in goo and flesh and blood, screaming and wailing to be fed. It's like that scene in Aliens, when the parasite suddenly bursts forth from the body of the human host! It is a terrible and frightening and disgusting event to witness, a most excruciating ordeal, especially for the mother! Be kind to your vaginas. Have a C section!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother had a c section! She didn't want a naturel child birth, but as it turned out, the doctors feared I would get stuck on the way out.

      Another show I like in re runs is Jewel in the Crown, have you seen that?

      I thought I was the only one watching Krypton . I just started watching that on demand. I also enjoy Gotham.... my favorite American show at the moment.

      Delete
    2. Maddie, Thanks for telling me about Jewel in the Crown. It looks fascinating! Adding it to my must see list.

      I also love Gotham, Lucifer, and the fantastic return of the X Files. I like shows that make me laugh, have great story flow and outstanding characters, and are unique or interesting enough and stand out from the rest.

      Delete
    3. Judy Parfitt is in Jewel in the Crown. I love me a lot of her.

      Delete
  5. I've been watching this show too.Totally addicted to this incredibly beautiful story. Your the first person I have heard mention it. I look forward to the rest of the seasons. And don't get me started on Midsummer Murders...I could watch that for hours. My favorite comedy is To The Manor Born, here on Saturday nights.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have not watched it, looks like I should. I love To The Manner Born - won't say if I am more like Richard or Audrey . . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hahahahaha LOVE this post! Just discovered your blog and am now following!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I first noticed the dee-licious David Berry as a gay man in 1700s Great Britain on Outlander. Um, yum. I have been looking for this series, because I heard it was so good, but have yet to find it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I still find it curious that you like these British shows - especially Last of the Summer Wine!
    Mr Swings is right about Call the Midwife.
    Thank you for other televisual suggestions.
    Sx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Scarlett....they are to me much better written and tongue and cheek then the America shows have the balls to do. I can't get enough of Last of the Summer Wine.

      Oh Codfanglers!!!!!!

      Delete
  10. Hadn't heard of it... Any particular broadcast affiliate I should look for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well here it is on the PBS channel. It might be your local PBS doesn't offer it.

      Delete
  11. I used to watch a lot of TV, now very little, and usually PBS (including Doc Martin on occasion) I haven't heard of this show, but I'll give it a look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm still waiting for them to air the finale season here of Doc Martin.

      Delete
  12. I haven't even heard of this series but it sounds great! I don't think it's on any of the channels I get though. Too bad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steven above lives in Canada too, and he can't find it either.

      Delete

Go ahead darling, tell me something fabulous!